|My work ranges from the weird and wonderful to semi-abstract renditions of movement created by dancers, musicians, sport and weather. Most paintings are on canvas. Mediums used are acrylics/oils/oil bar/coloured pencils/pastels/graphite.|
Country: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
Email: send letter
Contact: 01388 517308
|• Gavin Mayhew is an artist based in Westgate, Weardale, Co. Durham. Originally an art teacher, he left full time teaching to pursue his own artistic aspirations.
• His recent work expresses the movement of dance and music following live sketch sessions. It is the vitality of life as seen through dancers and musicians that presently influences his work.
• As well as exhibition and mural work, he teaches art night classes at Wolsingham Community College and has worked as a part-time lecturer in art/craft for Community Education at Bishop Auckland College.
• He also runs regular art workshops for school projects, drug rehabilitation classes, youth projects (including summer schools) and art/craft for students with physical and learning difficulties.
• He was chosen to represent County Durham in their cultural exchange scheme which resulted in two exhibitions staged in T?bingen, Germany.
• Following two successful exhibitions in the U.S.A. in February, 1999 he was invited back to the States to show his paintings in the twin county of Durham, North Carolina in August, 2000.
• He was chosen to represent county Durham at the Municipality of Royvas Painting Festival, Crete in August, 2006
• His work has been commissioned both home and abroad and has been featured on the Tyne Tees Television programme, ‘Dales Diary’.
2000 The Art Guild Gallery,
Twin City Exhibition, Durham, Nth Carolina. U.S.A.
2000 B.B.C. Broadcasting Centre Newcastle on Tyne
1999 Newark Academy Gallery New Jersey, U.S.A.
1999 D.L.I. Art Gallery Durham City
1998 The Cutting Room Gallery Leeds
1997 Bishop Auckland Town Hall Gallery Co. Durham
1997 Brabenthallen Netherlands
1996 Crook Civic Centre Co. Durham
1996 Washington Arts Centre Co. Durham
1995 Studentwerk T?bingen, Germany
1993 Crook Civic Centre Co. Durham
2006 Gergeri Painting Festival, Crete
1999 New York Art Expo U.S.A.
1998 Art Miami U.S.A.
1997 Wear Valley Artists Co. Durham
1993 Raw Gallery London
1992 International Art Exchange Exhibition T?bingen, Germany
2001 Feature of artist and work ~ Dales Diary ~ Tyne Tees Television
1999 Celebrity guest ~ Radio Cleveland ~ Interview about painting in acrylics
1997 Review ~ North East Tonight ~ I.T.V.
1997 Northern Echo ~ Centre page full colour article by Alistair Gilmore
entitled, ‘A Mermaid in my Bathroom’
1993 Mini documentary on work ~ Radio Newcastle
1992 Coverage of ‘Prison Residency’ ~ Northern Life, B.B.C.
1992 Mini documentary on work ~ Northern Life, B.B.C.
CATALOGUES / PUBLISHED WORK
2000 Main feature ~ Weardale Gazette
1999 November issue ~ Artists and Illustrators Magazine
1999 Understanding Acrylics ~ promotional video ~ Daler/Rowney
1999 New York Art Expo catalogue
1998 Daler/Rowney International Art Paper
1994 Modern Painters ~ Fakes ‘94
1994 False or Fun ~ Sunday Express Art Supplement
2006 BA (Hons) Fine Art ~ Sunderland University
2002 Community Champions Certificate ~ Bishop Auckland College
1999 Cert of Continuing Ed. in Visual Arts
1973 Teaching Cert (Distinction Art) ~ University Newcastle on Tyne
1968 Diploma in Graphic Design ~ Hull College of Art
COMMISSIONS and RESIDENCIES
2006> Artist in Residence, Lifeline, Peterlee
2004 -6 Artist in Residence, Probation Service, Consett and Peterlee
2003 Artist in Residence/Mural, Burnside Primary, Houghton-le-Spring
2003 Mural, Benfieldside Nursery, Consett
2003 Artist in Residence, Woodhouse Close Church Community Centre
2003 Artist in Residence/Outside3D mural, Barmston Primary School, Washington
2002-3 Artist in Residence, The Poplars, (learning difficulties), Tow Law
2002-4 Artist in Residence, Drug Rehabilitation Scheme, The Grange Project,
2002 Artist in Residence, Woodhouse Close Church Community Centre
2002 Artist in Residence, Summer school, KIDS, Hull