|My work explores basic human emotions geared toward the screen image, we are bombarded 24/7 by these moving images, they provoke subconscious reactions that ultimately effect our day to day existence.
My work questions these human instincts of joy, sadness, elation, anger, fear, heartache etc. Why do we cry when we watch a sad film or feel uplifted when things turn out all right in the end, its not real! is it?
Through sound and vision we are effected in such a way as if we where actually involved in the storyline and these fictitious characters prey on our emotions, from the sanctity of our living rooms we can be left feeling emotionally drained.
We have heated discussions concerning what TV programme we watched last night or the latest film we have seen at the cinema and whether we like or dislike certain characters and/or the actors who portray them.
Using modern technology I take digital images of what I believe to be poignant stills from the TV/movie, one of those split second images that flash before our eyes, do we really see them all? Only a few of them are stored in our memory banks, most are lost and what we are left with are the emotional feelings created by what we have just witnessed.
The resultant digital photographs are then edited on the computer, if needed, at this stage I am looking for a particular reaction created by the characters, and any movement, lighting effect, atmosphere etc anything that I feel is appropriate and using photoshop I can enhance or even exaggerate this quality.
The image is then printed, usually in greyscale, which I feel enhances the mood, from this I then proceed to produce a painting in oils recalling at the same time that residual trace of emotion left by the original and ultimately the finished work will hopefully provoke a similar response from the viewer.
Country: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
Email: send letter
Contact: 3 Fir Tree Drive Wigan
|Recently completed a teaching certificate currently lecturing for a local college and running art classes.
Member of the National Acreylic Painters Association.
· 2006. OK Studio, Open Studio Exhibition, Cross Street, Standish, Wigan.
· 2006. Past Present Future, Turnpike Gallery, Leigh (Winner of the Peoples Prize)
· 2005. Stockport Open Exhibition, Stockport Art Gallery, Cheshire. (Winner of the Peoples Prize)
· 2005. Show5, Degree Show, UCLan, Preston.
· 2005. Nationwide Mercury Art and Music Student Competition, The Air Gallery, Dover Street, London.
· 2005. “Objects of Desire” Exhibition, Turnpike Gallery, Leigh, Lancashire.
· 2005. The Grosvenor Museum`s 6th Open Art Exhibition, Grosvenor Street, Chester.
· 2005. “Mind Where You Look” Exhibition, Fairfield General Hospital, Rochdale Old Road, Bury and Oldham Art Gallery.
· 2005. Army Benevolent Fund Exhibition, The Minster Church of St John The Evangelist, Church St, Preston.
· 2005. Art of Love Exhibition, Oxo Gallery, Oxo Wharf, Bargehouse Street, London.
· 2004. Wrexham Open, Wrexham Museum and Art Gallery, Wrexham, Wales.
· 2004. Sefton Open Exhibition, Atkinson Art Gallery, Southport. (short listed prize winner)
· 2004. Stockport Artlink Exhibition, Stockport Art Gallery, Cheshire.
· 2004. Channel 4, Big Art Challenge, Lowry Centre, Manchester.
· 2004. Stockport Open Exhibition, Stockport Art Gallery, Cheshire.
· 2004. West Lancashire Open Exhibition, Chapel Gallery, Ormskirk
· 2004. Manchester Academy of Fine Arts open exhibition, Salford, Manchester.
· 2004. NAPA Open International Exhibition, Williamson Art Gallery, Birkenhead.
· 2003. Sefton Open Exhibition, Atkinson Art Gallery.
· 2003. Stockport Open, Stockport Art Gallery, Cheshire.
· 2003. St Mary’s Village Hall solo exhibition
· 2000. The Observer Gallery, Rowbottom Square, Wigan.
· 1999. The Observer Gallery, Rowbottom Square, Wigan.
· 1998. The Navigation, Appley Bridge, Standish.
· 1998. St Helens Open, St Helens College, St Helens.
· 1996. Drumcroon Open Exhibition, Parsons Walk, Wigan
· 1997. Standish Arts Festival Exhibition, Church Street, Standish.
· 1992. The Laing National Art Finalists Exhibition, Mall Galleries, London.
· 1992. The Laing National Art Exhibition, Salford Art Gallery, Manchester.
· 1988. Studio 77, Turnpike Gallery, Leigh.
· 1987. Studio 77, Turnpike Gallery, Leigh.
· 1988 to 1993 Permanent display The Coach House Gallery, Wigan
· 1983 to 1988 Permanent display at Maureen Gullies Gallery, Wigan
Residencies and Events.
· 2007 “Sensory Perceptions” Part of Wigan Words Week. An evening of poetry, prose and paintings by some of Lancashire`s most promising writers and artists. 1650 Coffee House, Wallgate, Wigan. Wed 18th April.
· 2007 St Mary`s Primary School. Working with Y3 key stage 2 children producing drawings and 3 dimensional masking tape figures as part of the DfES inclusion of the SEALS (Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning) program.
· 2007 Rolf on Lowry. BBC televised event on the reproduction of Lowry`s painting of ”Piccadilly Gardens”. One of fifteen artists taking part painting outdoors in Piccadilly Gardens. The program was televised on Sunday 4th March 2007.
· 2007 St Mary`s Primary School. Working with Y5 pupils to research and design a mural on the history of Wigan. The winning mural will be reproduced and situated in the Grand Arcade in the new shopping centre that will open May 2007. (Update: The organisers decided to give a second place award because of the quality of the work. This award was given to St Mary’s artwork the mural will be on exhibited on the history wall situated in the Grand Arcade the school also was awarded ?300.)
· 2006 St Mary’s Primary School, Derby Street, Wigan. (One-session voluntary demonstration withY5 pupils. Placement of facial features, knowledge of basic anatomy and recognising tone. Linked to emotional intelligence concerning identity and empathy.)
· 2006 Harwood Meadows Primary School, Bolton. (Two sessions paid work with Y6 and Y1 pupils demonstration and workshop. Placement of facial features, knowledge of basic anatomy and recognising tone. Linked to emotional intelligence concerning identity and empathy.)
· 2006 St Mary’s Primary School, Derby Street, Wigan. (Eight weeks voluntary placement working with Y6 pupils in the creation of an individual piece of artwork relating to an awareness of scale linked to the Geography syllabus and in particular mountain ranges of the world.)
· 2006 Adult Learners Week: Series of public demonstrations and workshops on drawing and painting techniques organised in local libraries across the borough of Wigan.